Wednesday 15 May 2013

An Unusual Salad Recipe

This is a quick and easy salad that I created with stuff I had on hand. I was wanting to make a pear and blue cheese salad but didn't have all of the ingredients. I've made it for my mom and husband who don't like pears and they liked it (although it wouldn't be their first choice.) This is a good side salad with chicken or pork and is good for picnics and potlucks. 

I will let you know that all amounts are approximate as I usually eyeball and taste to get it right. 

Pear and Tomato Salad


1-2 Anjou or other firm pears (You can use Asian pears but not Bartlett's)
2-3 Tomatoes
1 Small Red Onion
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) or other mild tasting vinegar such as rice vinegar
1-2 Cloves finely chopped garlic
1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
Pinch of salt
1/4 teaspoon ground Black Pepper 
1/4 Cup Crumbled Feta Cheese

In a small bowl or measuring cup, mix olive oil, ACV, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper to make a simple vinaigrette dressing. Let sit to allow flavours to develop.

Chop pears, onions and tomatoes into a rough dice and place into a bowl. The proportions of the onions, tomatoes and pears should be roughly equal but I usually use a little less pear because of the hubby.

Crumble feta and vinaigrette over top and mix gently. 

Serve chilled.

Options: Replace pear with watermelon. Can be garnished with walnuts for crunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment