Friday 5 April 2013

More on Low Sodium Products and Special Diets

I have been updating my post on low sodium supermarket options and mentioned in my post about the hubby's diet that I was looking for a no-sodium baking soda substitute. Well, I found the substitute right here in Toronto at the Specialty Food Shop  in the Hospital for Sick Children.  I found out about them by calling Eat Right Ontario and speaking to a registered dietitian who happened to remember about them.

The Specialty Food Shop is for children and adults with special dietary needs such as Celiac, Cystic Fibrosis, dysphagia, food allergies, energy boosting and more. They have a website (see link above) where you can shop online and they deliver right across Canada (out-of-Provence rates apply). You can even email a registered dietitian about any nutrition questions you may have and the proceeds of sales go to support the Hospital for Sick Children. 

The other thing that the Eat Right dietitian mentioned to me was to ask my local supermarket to carry the products that I'm interested in and it was like "duh, why didn't I remember that?".  So, I'm going to be asking the manager of my local store to see about carrying the Mrs.Dash marinades for me (I'm thinking of asking for the Spicy Teriyaki first) and perhaps the baking soda substitute, mostly because I'm lazy and don't want to go downtown to get what I want (I don't drive so going downtown is a pain in the butt). My next chore is going to be tracking down a low sodium cheddar and other hard cheeses that are available here in Canada (I know Helluva Good makes one but they don't seem to ship it out of the U.S.) I'll let you know here how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment