Saturday 5 October 2013

Why I Like Yoga

When I was studying Holistic Health at College, I HAD  to do a practicum at a place that was willing to let us practice what we had learned. The place I chose to volunteer at was a local yoga studio as I knew that this would  be a place that I may be able to work at in the future.One of the advantages of volunteering at this yoga studio was that I could take free yoga classes.I should let you know that this was hot yoga and I have a heart condition where heat and I don't really mix.

Any way, I started practicing hot yoga and I noticed that I felt better and was more able to care for the DH. My back pain was better, as were my mood and energy. I enjoyed the community and that the community allowed you to be separate because each yoga practice is individual. One of the things that I also liked was that the classes were geared to everyone. It didn't matter that you were a novice or if you had been practicing yoga for X number of years.( I had last done yoga I was 9 and the started it again when I was hitting middle age)

There have been many studies on yoga and heart health, mental health, balance and mood.

I'll say this, since my DH passed away, I want to get back into my yoga practice, and I wish I had the energy. I'd recommend yoga to anyone who is caring for another and, if possible, have your loved one come with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment