Tuesday 19 February 2013

A Useful Recipe

While my mother was undergoing chemotherapy, I was worried about getting nutrition into her because of the nausea and her lack of appetite. I mentioned this to her nurse and she loaned me a couple of books to look through until her visit the next week ( Thank You Nurse!). I busily copied some recipes out by hand and tried them out. One was for a vegetable broth that was quite tasty and I was still using it until I misplaced my copy  after reorganizing my home office (Oops) .

I wanted to share the recipe because it is a great base for any dish, nutritious, and tasty but I couldn't remember the author's name! So, today I decided I'd try googleing for the broth. I figured " you never know, everything seems to be on the net these days and perhaps someone else thought it was a great recipe too". Guess what....I found it! Here's a link to the recipe for the Magical Mineral Broth  (I thought it was called Super Broth but I found it anyway).  Now that I've found the recipe again I'll be making it soon and trying it out in the slow cooker, with a few other tweaks for the husband's dietary needs, and try to figure out what to do with the leftover vegetables (I hate to waste them, they are still full of fiber). 

Because I found the recipe, I now knew the author's name so I googled her and found her website http://rebeccakatz.com/ . She doesn't have a lot of recipes there but I'm going to be trying a few of them and probably get her book The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen which is where the original recipe was from. From what I remember (it has been a couple of years) it was full of stuff on portion sizes, snacks, balanced nutrition, what to eat when nauseous and other great advice. I also liked the fact that the recipes were great for anyone and not just people undergoing cancer treatment.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment