Thursday 20 February 2014

Saying "No"

As caregivers, we have great caring hearts and, at least for me, difficulty saying no to people who ask us for something. This can be from our family, friends or at work. Saying "no" is sometimes the best thing that you can do for yourself and for the other person. 

When I was caring for Mom, I got a phone call from my disabled friend for whom I have Power of Attorney and he wanted me to help save him from eviction. I was also having to care for my husband who was at our home. There was just no way that I could help him and although it broke my heart I had to say No. He ended up going into a shelter and from there into long term care which turned out to be the best for him. So never feel guilty for saying no - it can be good for you by lessening your stress and for the other person by having them solve the problem themselves or ending up in a better situation. 

Here are some helpful phrases for saying "No" that can help you feel less guilty and not leave the other person feeling disrespected.



Original Image: Julie Hanks

No comments:

Post a Comment